The Gorman Group of Companies is looking for a dynamic and self-motivated Woodlands Accountant who will be a key player in collaborating with our Gorman Bros and Canoe Forest Products woodlands teams. This position will be based at our Canoe Forest Products division, a busy Plywood production facility, located near Salmon Arm, BC. Canoe Forest Products Ltd (CFP) produces superior quality Canadian softwood sheathing and specialty plywood products under the trademark CANOE brand®. Since 1965, the CANOE brand® has distinguished itself as a premium quality plywood panel that is well recognized and valued throughout the world.
If you are an individual looking for an opportunity to advance and grow in your finance and accounting career, and over time, learn and be responsible for the full accounting cycle, this is the job for you! Reporting to the Woodlands Controller, this individual will perform a variety of accounting tasks including collecting and processing logging transactions related to harvesting, purchases, contractors, etc. that are mandatory requirements of the Provincial Ministry of Forests.
HOURS OF WORK: 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, and may require extra hours as necessary.
KEY ROLESof this position include but are not limited to:
- Prepare Contractor Pay twice per month (logging contractors, roads, harvest and purchase, hauling, etc.)
- Prepare invoices and reconcile system reports to general ledger and other reconciliation as required
- Receive Load Tickets from log dumps, transfer tickets, make corrections in logging system and the Ministry of Forests Harvest Billing System (HBS)
- Sort incoming destination scale load/tickets, confirm correctness, import into LIMS, and process payments
- Manage and track Logging Contracts in the system
- Maintain Stumpage accounts, including processing invoices and monthly accrual preparation
- Compiling various weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports
- Work with Senior Woodlands Administrator on day-to-day and month-end duties
- Minimum two years of previous experience in an accounting role within an office environment
- Ideal candidate holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Business and is a newly designated CPA. Equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Solid understanding of forest industry operations and associated terminology
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel including advanced reporting tools such as pivot tables.
- Customer service orientation and well-developed problem-solving skills
- High level of accuracy, attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Strong organization, verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
The Gorman Group of Companies is family owned and proudly made up of Gorman Bros. Lumber Ltd., Canoe Forest Products, Oroville Reman and Reload, Downie Timber, Selkirk Cedar, and Lumby Pole Divisions. For over 70 years, we have been known for creating The Finest Boards and other specialty wood products. Perhaps even more, we are known for working together.
The Gorman Group is more than just a group of companies…we are a family! We value the family roots that connect us and the employees that work for us. We believe our employees are fundamental to our success as we strive to become the employer of choice through our strong family values, culture, community involvement, innovation, and constant drive for excellence.
The Gorman Group is committed to the well-being of future generations and is fully committed to responsible and sustainable forest management of the lands where our operations are conducted. Our commitment to the environment encompasses the highest levels of stewardship and welcomes accountability.
- Family supporting jobs and a safe place to build your career
- Competitive pay, exceptional benefits and pension plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Diverse work opportunities allowing for growth and advancement
- An open and innovative culture
- A progressive and dynamic work environment
We are more than a company…we are a community! We believe this community begins at work and with YOU!
If you possess the skills and qualifications required for this challenging position, we want to hear from you! Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Gorman Group is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce in a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
_Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram to stay up to date on Gorman Group news and job postings.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Accounting: 2 years (preferred)
- Do you have a CPA designation? (preferred)
Work Location: One location